FAT FLUSH SOUP
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef or 1 1⁄4 lbs turkey or 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (32 ounce) bottle reduced-sodium tomato juice or 1 (32 ounce) bottlevegetable cocktail juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained) or 1 (14 ounce) can navy beans (rinsed and drained) or 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- In stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high setting. Sauté meat/poultry until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté onion, garlic, peppers and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except cilantro and parsley. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro and parsley.
- Cover; simmer 10 minutes longer. Store soup in refrigerator up to 5 days. Freezes well. Make 12-14 cups. 1 serving = 3 cups.